Grand Master’s Edict on Election of Lodge Officers
As we continue to work through restrictions imposed by COVID-19 situation, we must accomplish our regular Masonic business in new and different ways. Under a previous edict I ordered that all regular meetings, degree work, and events be postponed or cancelled until conditions change and restrictions are lifted. Continue to utilize electronic meetings to conduct your Lodge business and fellowship with our Brothers.
It is not sensible to congregate in groups at this time per CDC, federal, state and local guidelines. Per requirements of Section 4.37 of Masonic Code of South Dakota the election of Lodge Officers shall be accomplished at the last May or first June Stated Communication. With that in mind, I direct the Election of Officers for Constituent Lodges be accomplished in the following manner:
1. Nominations will be accomplished by electronic means (Zoom, MS Teams, Conference Calls, Email, etc.).
2. Ballots will be written and either emailed or mailed to eligible voters of each Lodge.
3. Brothers print the Ballot and/or fill it out without placing their name on it and mail back to their Lodge. This will help accomplish secret ballots at this time.
4. Lodge Secretaries will receive Ballots by mail and provide to Worshipful Master.
5. Worshipful Masters will announce the selection for Elected Officers in their Lodge.
6. Installation of Lodge Officers can be conducted by remote settings as the Grand Lodge will do in June for the Grand Lodge Officers.
Under the current requirements to social distance, minimize group sizes, and health concerns we must consider the health and safety of our membership as our first priority. I direct your support in these unprecedented times as we are all in this together. Ensure your Brothers have the resources they require and assist wherever and whenever you can by showing others what Brotherly Love, Truth, and Relief are all about. If you know a Brother that needs assistance please let the Grand Lodge know so we can help.
Stay safe and healthy my Brothers.
Harold D. Ireland